Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 8 -- 1 Week done!

So, one week is done and here are the stats:
Overall weight -- down 10.8 lbs.
Overall inches -- down 5
Not bad!  Today I got excited about this journey.  Tried on some clothes I haven't been able to wear in a while -- and they fit!  This is going well and I want documentation of that for the down times.
I figure that I'm a week into this and my readers don't know much about me prior to this journey.  So I thought I'd take this opportunity to give you some background (cue Star Wars "In a galaxy far far away music...)
I've never been skinny.  Heck, I've never been slim.  "Healthy looking"  "Good appetite" "Chub-ette" were common words to describe me growing up.  Big Italian family, lots of macaroni, no portion control -- yup that was my childhood; happy, but fat.  The best way to sum it up is this: I have a very vivid memory of being about 9 or so and having a potato pancake eating contest with my then 17 year old MALE cousin.  Yes, my parents were there, but apparently thought this was cute or something.  Yeah, I shoveled that food like it was going out of style.
High school and college were more of the same.  Got married and am still embarrassed by the pictures.  Flash forward to 2006.  Have my first child.  A baby boy and I'm thrilled.  But if you've read previous posts, you know that I was gestational diabetic with that pregnancy.  So I vowed to get healthy.  And I did.  Low-carb, high protein (read: lots of protein shakes) and I was down to an all time low of around 148-ish.  My sister in law got married and I looked good!  Stopped paying so much attention to calories and a bit of weight crept on.  The following September (2009), I was in a car accident.  Spent a month home and ate away the pain.  Chocolate, chips, sugar -- you name it.  Well, the weight came back on.  I finally got serious about losing weight the summer of 2011.  That July we got a happy surprise though -- PREGNANT AGAIN!  At my first OB visit, I was up to 193.  Less than when I got pregnant with my first, but still more than I wanted to be. Had our beautiful baby girl in March. But during the pregnancy, my husband and I watched an interesting documentary called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". In it Joe Cross, documents for 60 days of juicing. The journey is truly inspirational and I don't want to give anything away. I highly recommend that you check it out on Netflix. After watching that movie, my husband decided to give juicing a try. He successfully juiced for 45 days and ended up losing more than 30 pounds. Well, if it worked for him it might work for me too. So now here we are beginning our juice fast together. I'm officially one week in and very happy with the results.
I will share more insights from my journey as the blog progresses, but as this entry is getting long, I'm going to simply say -- keep on juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment