Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 43

Writing these big numbers is getting a little strange! To look at the title and see 43 is quite surprising to say the least. Especially for someone who didn't think they would make it past 10 days. But here I am almost done with this journey. As I come to the end, I find myself reflecting on the successes and failures of the entire trip. The successes I think are pretty obvious. Going 43 days without having a meal and proving to myself that I have the willpower to do it are a pretty big in my book. But maybe it's the pessimist in me that sees the failures as bigger opportunities for reflection and hopeful growth in the future. The journey has been far from perfect. In fact there's been many snacks along the way. That's why I'm very careful to say that I haven't eaten in 43 days, but rather have not had a meal and 43 days. so here are some notes to future self:
1.) food ain't gonna make you feel better. No matter what the emotion; anger, sadness, elation, or flat-out boredom. Food is not the answer. Drink something first. Then see if it's true hunger.
2.) you are not defined by your past. The days of ignorance about portion sizes, healthy choices, and overall well-being are behind you. You know better, so act like it!
3.) "the perfect is the enemy of the good.". Go find out who said that. They probably had more smart things to say too. But even if you fall off the track again, you can always hop back on.
4.) if you want to take a religious spin on things, your body is a temple. And temples aren't full of garbage. Be full of goodness, both spiritually and physically. And no chocolate doesn't count as goodness.
5.) be good to your body now, so that it will be good to you later. That one just kind of came to me. But if I want to enjoy later in life I need to put the work in now to make sure that I'm healthy for them.
6.). Forgive yourself. Mistakes are going to happen and it's okay. This one is tied in with number three. But for this particular item, I mean in every area of life. You're not going to be perfect and that's okay. Just remember that you need to try your best. That's what you ask of your own children and of your students. So you need to ask the same of yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent insights! Be sure to keep this post so you can always refer back to it during those difficult times. I'm really proud of you!

    ReplyDelete